Monday 12 November 2012

Smothering Heights: Dubai

Last week I went to visit my friend Minnie in Dubai. We had such a great time that I forgot to over paparazzi everything I saw. I also don't want to get her arrested - you know the Dubai authorities are all over my blog like Swarovski crystals on Emirate womens' Louboutins. 

The view from Minnie's pool - over the Marina

The view from Minnie's pool (half way up her building)
The dancing fountains at the Burj Khalifa
Desserts and Sheikhs (geddit)
We attended such diverse events as a cross dressing Halloween houseparty (both cross dressing and alcohol being illegal) and the Dubai Mahiki - far more tame, but unfortunately I only have a limited photo reel to share of our nightly excursions. 



A casual meal in - fillet steak, home made chips and home made béarnaise 


Mall Sharks
Oh, and this happened. Whoops.

Minnie works at the Isabelle Van Den Eynde gallery in Dubai. I was lucky enough to be able to attend the opening party for their latest exhibition: Zoulika Boudabdellah's Any Resemblance to persons living or dead is purely coincidental. The show explores the suppression of women and the commodification of female sexuality in some Arabic countries today. My favourite piece is the light sculpture at the top of this post, but I also love the Instalation of three beaded portals housing back-lit stilettos with submissive text engraved above the doors, including this: "I always agreed with you". 



I loved visiting Minnie but overall I felt as though if I'd stayed, I would have been crushed by one of those dizzying towers. Back to European scale buildings feels much safer. 

Flo and Elle review travel Dubai Mahiki Isabel Van Den Eynde Flo and Elle review travel Dubai Mahiki Isabel Van Den Eynde Flo and Elle review travel Dubai Mahiki Isabel Van Den Eynde  Flo and Elle review travel Dubai Mahiki Isabel Van Den Eynde Flo and Elle review travel Dubai Mahiki Isabel Van Den Eynde Flo and Elle review travel Dubai Mahiki Isabel Van Den Eynde Flo and Elle review travel Dubai Mahiki Isabel Van Den Eynde Flo and Elle review travel Dubai Mahiki Isabel Van Den Eynde  Flo and Elle review travel Dubai Mahiki Isabel Van Den Eynde  Flo and Elle review travel Dubai Mahiki Isabel Van Den Eynde  Flo and Elle review travel Dubai Mahiki Isabel Van Den Eynde