Sunday 1 June 2014

Flo's New York Weekender

I couldn't believe my luck I realised that a leisurely bank holiday weekend in New York would actually save money on my work trip to Dallas and Chicago.

It has been 9 years since I was last there and a weekend is not nearly long enough, but I had a wonderful time catching up with old friends, eating tremendously well, and of course shopping, drinking and dancing. I have made a list of the highlights from my stay and am already counting down the days until I can return... 

Brunch!


Brunch is the archetypal New York meal to indulge in, and I had two fantastically calorific ones at Juliette in Brooklyn and the Park in Chelsea.


Juliette has a roof (drinks only) where I started with a blood orange mimosa...




...before moving onto some serious corn beef hash and eggs. Mmmm

While you're in Brooklyn, Caprices by Sophie makes the best coffee and is absolutely adorable (be sure to try a raspberry eclair too!) 







On Sunday I had The Park's famous 'breakfast pizza' washed down with an uber healthy kale juice for ironic effect...







Markets and shopping...
I am horribly envious of the food on offer in New York. High up on my lust list is the moving food market - Smorgasburg - whose many stalls serve all manner of things from ice cream sandwiches to bahn xeo to pulled pork sliders. Had I not had a huge brunch I would have eaten just about everything.

The one on saturday had fantastic views across the river...






Sunday was spend wondering Chelsea market where I bought a blood orange infused olive oil from The Filling Station that makes the most delicious salad dressing.



We got there via the high line which is also lined with temptation - I had some of this plum and cardamon ice:



Just around the corner from the highline is Warby Parker - a relatively new glasses shop where you can get frames with your lenses fitted for just 100 dollars. Needless to say, I bought two pairs! But they don't yet do international shipping so unless you have a kind friend who will post them to you (thanks Rob!), allow up to 10 days to collect them.





Another brand I discovered out there is Parker (also sold in Harvey Nicholls) where I got this lovely white dress.


And B&H electronics where I bought my beautiful new Fuji xm1 for a little less than back in the UK.



By Night...

My first evening was spent in the legendary Standard, and kicked off in style with a potent old fashioned.





The second evening began with mastering Beer Pong and Flip Cup on a Brooklyn roof top against the most beautiful sunsets, and ended up in Kinfolk dancing to hardcore Hip Hop all night. 









Thanks to Carla and the miraculous properties of coconut water I somehow stumbled onto my flight back home... Can't wait for my return